Thomas McCurtains Club Notes - 13th May13-05-2018
It was a great week of action for McCurtains. The Hurlers got their league campaign underway on Thursday evening with a well deserved win over Kilburn Gaels. Then on Saturday our Camogs qualified for the Semi Finals of the Mixed League while our Underage teams had a successful weekend at Gael London.
Next week will be a busy one. First up the Footballers will play Eire Og in the Semi Final of the Murphy Cup in Downhills Park on Tuesday at 7.00pm. The Ladies footballers kick off their Championship campaign against Kingdom Kerry Gaels in Greenford on Wednesday at 7.15pm. Saturday will see the footballers out again in the Shiels Cup against Harlesden Harps in Greenford while on Sunday the Hurlers play Fulham Irish in the Ronan Cup in Scrubs. The Camogie team will potentially play their League Semi Final next weekend with a date and venue to be confirmed. All support welcome.
We are also hosting a Race Night in the Victoria Pub, Romford on Saturday night in aid of our Players Injury Fund. All welcome.
A fantastic first half display from the Macs laid the foundation for their initial league win. Some sharp shooting by the macs forwards gave the a 2-09 to 1-04 half time lead. Kilburn looked to launch a second half comeback and came within a handful of scores but the East London lads finished stronger again to run out winners by 11 (4-13 to 2-09).
Our underage players travelled west to Gael London over the weekend.
On Saturday the U10 & U13 Footballers played a blitz a did themselves proud winning all their games. The U15 Footballers also played a game against Gael London coming out on top in that too. On Saturday the Hurlers and Camogs played a blitz as well with some fantastic hurling on display by all players.
Our Camogs travelled up to Manchester to play John Mitchels and Fullen Gaels in the second round of the Mixed League. They beat John Mitchels (6-02 to 3-02) but lost out to Fullen Gaels (3-08 to 1-02). However they did enough to qualify for the Semi Finals next weekend.
THOMAS MCCURTAINS SQUAD: Sarah Conway, Joanna Curran, Andrea Brogan, Catherine Barrett, Orla Dennehy, Lorainne Breen, Kellie Ann Brennan (0-5), Claire Finnegan (2-0), Amy Walsh (4-1), Jacqueline Lavelle, Ann Marie Hickey (1-0), Belen Douton, Orla Maloney & Caroline McCarthy.
There are a number of club events coming up over the next few months. Please see below for more details.
- Saturday 19th May 2018 - Race Night, Thomas McCurtains are hosting a race night to raise funds for the player injury fund. it is £100 to sponsor a race and £10 to buy a horse. Contact any member of the committee for more information.
- Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Golf Day, This years Golf Day will take place in Ilford Golf Club. First tee off at 10:30am with dinner afterwards in O'Grady's Restaurant at 6.00pm. £50 per golfer £100 to sponsor a hole. If you are interested in either playing in or sponsoring this event please contact Jim McDermott on 07813355776.
Saturday 7th July 2018 - Annual Club Fun Day, The clubs annual fun day will be held in Goodmayes.
Training (Click on team name for more info):
- Mens Football: Thursday at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: Tuesday & Thursday at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Ladies Football: Monday at 7.00pm in West Ham.
- Camogie: Wednesday at 7.00pm in West Ham.
- Hurling - Monday at 7.00pm &
- Football - Tuesday at 7.00pm in Thurrock Rugby Club & Wednesday at 7.00pm in Campion School RM11 3BX
- Mens Football: Murphy Cup, Semi Final - Thomas McCurtains v Eire Og, Tuesday 15th May 2018 at 7.00pm, Downhills Park.
- Shiels Cup, Quarter Final - Thomas McCurtains v Harlesden Harps, Saturday 15th May 2018 at 3.30pm, Greenford.
- Ladies Football: Intermediate Ladies Football Championship - Thomas McCurtains v Kingdom Kerry Gaels, Wednesday 16th May 2018 at 7.15pm, Greenford.
- Mens Hurling: Ronan Cup, Quarter Final - Thomas McCurtains v Fulham Irish, Sunday 20th May 2018 at 12.30pm, Scrubs.
- Camogie: Mixed League Semi Final, 19th or 20th May 2018, Venue TBC
- Camogie: Mixed League - Thomas McCurtains: 1-02, Fullen Gaels: 3-08
- Thomas McCurtains: 6-02, John Mitchels: 3-02
- Mens Hurling: AIB Hurling League Division 2 - Thomas McCurtains: 4-13, Kilburn Gaels: 2-09
New players are always very welcome to join our friendly club. We have Gaelic Football & Hurling teams for both men and ladies from u-8s up to Adults. We are based in East London; the club covers a wide area and current players live in many different areas, including, Gants Hill, Woodford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Stratford, Romford, Dagenham, Brentwood & Chelmsford as well as many other areas. Transport to and from training and pick-up from stations can be arranged, if required.
If you would like to join our club, please do not hesitate to contact:
- Mens Football: Pop Geraghty: 07493 046 064
- Mens Hurling: Alan Power: 07925 175 910
- Ladies Football: Eoin Kelly: 07729 746 052
- Camogie: Eoin Kelly: 07729 746 052
- Underage: Martin McGovern: 07807 830 556
Thomas McCurtains GAA Club would welcome coaching support in local schools and our training sessions.
Our official club merchandise is available to purchase on the O’Neill’s website here
*Gentle reminder to all teams to take their rubbish with them after using Goodmayes pitches*