Kanturk too strong for Kilburn04-12-2017

Kanturk too strong for Kilburn

A massive crowd came out to witness the Cork and Munster champions, Kanturk, take on Kilburn, the best London had to offer. Buff Egan was even in attendance. The afternoon began when the Kanturk crowd saved the pre-game ritual with a beautiful rendition of Amhrán Na Bhfiann. Kanturk got off to the better start, their captain Figo pointing a long range shot from inside his own half. Only moments later Cork county footballer Aiden Walsh put over a crowd-pleasing sideline right in front of the Tony McGovern stand. This was the ideal start for Kanturk, however Kilburn struck back fast with their opening point through Sean Conlon. Ryan Walsh was next to register a score for Kanturk, this fine scored highlighted Kanturk’s great ability to shoot from distance. Shortly after putting over his first free of the day, Liam o’Keefe found himself on the end of a great team move, only to hit the post. Aiden Walsh providing the assist with a sublime piece of skill, handpassing over his shoulder. Alan O’Keefe extended Kanturk’s lead, with a fine shot over the shoulder. By this stage it was evident that both teams had contrasting game plans. Kanturk were playing the ball through the lines and Kilburn were playing a more direct game. Over the next few minutes both sides traded scores, Kanturk now leading 7 points to 4 with only 6 minutes until the break. Out of nowhere a fracas broke out in the bottom corner which resulted in Kilburn’s waterman sent into the crowd, delighting the Kanturk supporters. Liam O’Keefe registered another 2 points for kanturk to give them a four-point lead at the interval. Just at the stroke of halftime, Kilburn were awarded a penalty but Anthony Nash was equal to it; pulling off a wonderful diving save to his bottom right hand corner.

Both teams came out for the second half looking to deliver a killer blow. Kanturk managed to pull away scoring 1-3 without reply, the goal coming from the hurl of Liam O’Keefe, a move that began with a blistering run from O’Keefe himself. On the 41st minute Kilburn registered their first score of the half, giving themselves a lifeline, a goal from Offaly’s Jodi Troy. The score line now read 1-12 to 1-5. Cork hurler and Kanturk star Lorcan McLoughlin deservingly grabbed a second goal for his team to put 10 points between the sides with 11 minutes to go. Kilburn did manage to score another goal only for Kanturk to cancel it out with 3 points of their own. Kanturk progressed on a score line of 2-17 to 2-8. They will play Armagh’s Middleton Na Fianna in All-Ireland Intermediate Club Championship semi-final in January